×

OZNÁMENÍ

Stránky ČeTIS ukončí svůj provoz k 24.10.2017. Ke stejnému datu vyexpiruje doména ctrebova.cz.
Pokud máte zájem o převod serveru nebo domény na Vaši firmu, kontaktujte mě s Vaší nabídkou na můj e-mail info@ctrebova.cz.

ČeTIS Česká Třebová - Informační servis pro město Česká Třebová a okolní obce

Vzhled této stránky je navržen pomocí CSS. Chcete-li stránku vidět tak, jak byla navržena, doporučuji vám nainstalovat si aktuální verzi některého z volně dostupných prohlížečů, které respektují platné standardy (Internet Explorer, Mozilla, Opera aj.).

ČeTIS Česká Třebová - Informační servis pro město Česká Třebová a okolní obce
The e-mail address bank@ctrebova.cz is a fake!!! There is no such a mailbox. The messages are spam.
Ceska verze
Czech version
Ceska verze / Czech version

Main page of CeTIS
Services for You

Information:
Accommodation
Archive & Links
Infrastructure
Local media
News & Opinions
Photos
Realties
Rekreation & Sports
Sights & History
Surroundings
Town plan
Yellow Pages

Offices:
Municipial office

This website:
Ads & Banners here
Updates & changes
Statistics


© Marek & Petr
Stransky

1995-2015
E-mail
Last update:
January 1st, 2015

Sights and history

Index:

I. Sights

The town centre was declared a town historical zone in 1995.

1. The Romanesque St.Catherine's Rotunda

picture thumbnail
  • founded in the 1st half of the 13th century in the primary center of the settlement
  • slightly reconstructed in a baroque style
  • the only preserved rotunda in eastern Bohemia
  • old houses in the area around the church
  • a view of the rotunda from the Old Cemetery in July 1999 at left, other views shot in February and in April 2000 below
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail picture thumbnail picture thumbnail

2. St. Jacob the Greater's Church and the rectory

picture thumbnail
  • founded in 1794, finished in 1801, built in the empire style
  • got another steeple after a fire in 1884
  • completely repaired in 1991-1993
  • the organ instrument reconstructed in 2004
  • precious historical statues around
  • view of the church from the Hyblova street
picture thumbnail The St.Jacob the Greaters Church and the rectory in the Klacelova street; September 1999
  • view of the rectory and the church from the Klacelova street
picture thumbnail view of the rectory from the church
  • vief of the stone above the church entrance
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
  • the old statues at the church

3. Old Square (Stare namesti) and its surroundings

picture thumbnail
  • view of the north side of the square - from left to right: hotel Korado, town hall (besides its steeple you can also see the steeple of the St.Jacob church) and the building of the municpial office (originally it was a school)
picture thumbnail
  • in front you can see the fountain built in 1996 in the former place of the statue "Sbratreni" of K.Pokorny that is now situated in the park at the railway station
The house At the cock built in 1960s; September 1999
  • view of the house "U kohouta" ("At The Cock") on the west side - it is the relatively new replacement of the burnt houses No. 41 and 42
picture thumbnail
  • square on Christmas 1996
picture thumbnail
  • house No. 11; built about the year 1803; originally served as a school
  • now it is being adapted to serve as the new exhibition room for the Municipial Museum
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
  • the square a few days before Christmas 2001

4. Architecture of the 20th century

Geometrical Art Nouveau

Grammar school
picture thumbnail
  • built 1907-1909 on basis of plans of Alois Dryák
  • completely renewed 1992-1995
  • view of the grammar school, in front there is a memorial of men killed during the Great War and the R.A.F. pilots (born in Ceska Trebova) killed during the Battle of Britain and other air battles of WWII
Villa of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
  • built 1908-1910 on basis of plans of Alois Dryák
  • repaired in late 1990s

Rondokubismus

Rondokubismus is a specific Czech style of 1920s and 1930s. Its origin lies in the 1910s' kubismus. It is called "The style of Legiobanka". The most important rondokubistic buildings are in Prague: the Adria palace at the Jungmann square and the Legiobank building in the Na Porici street. The most important architects of this style are Pavel Janak, Jan Kotera, Josef Gocar a Josef Zasche.

In Ceska Trebova there are many buildings of this style. Most of them were planned or constructed by the local Rossler & Kudlik company.

Czech spare-bank building
picture thumbnail
  • the building of the Czech spare-bank in Hyblova street
  • picture shot in summer 2002
Railway station
picture thumbnail
  • the railway station building put into operation in 1924
  • it is the third railway station building in Ceska Trebova; (the first one was opened in 1845, the second on in 1901)
  • picture shit in 2000
Culture center
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
  • before the WWII it was a building of social-democrats, that is why it bore the name Worker's house
  • after the WWII it served as a cinema
  • in 1998 the cinema was reconstructed
  • in 2001-2 the building was reconstructed again, it will serve as a culture center together with the neighbor building
  • picture shot in June 2000
Houses in Litomyslska street
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
picture thumbnail

5. Folk architecture

picture thumbnail
  • the house No. 310 in Lidicka street near the Old square
  • picture shot in December 2000
picture thumbnail
  • houses in the Kobyli dul street
  • picture shot in February 2000
An old house in the Podbranska street; September 1999
  • a house in the Podbranska street
  • picture shot in April 2000
picture thumbnail
  • a house in the oldest part of Ceska Trebova, at the St.Catherine's rotunda

6. Industrial buildings

"American" ice-house (fridge)

picture thumbnail
  • ice-house of the Butchers' corporation of Ceska Trebova
  • built in 1931
  • years later it served as a public sauna (hothouse)
  • today it is unattended
  • picture shot in December 2000

Military look-outs

picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
  • the look-outs were constructed in 1950s for watching nuclear explosions over Ceska Trebova (the railway station was and is of a great importance)
  • the former was built in 1952 on the slope of the Jelenice hill, in the height 450 meters a.s.l., cca 500 meters far from the station in the northwest direction
  • the latter was build several years later on the slope at Lhotka, cca 3 kilometers far from the station (the reds already took account of hydrogen bombs) in the north-northwest direction
  • pictures shot in November 2001

7. Culture-Natural sights

Town park Javorka

picture thumbnail
  • founded in 1885
  • the first four photos taken in April 2000
  • the winter photos taken on the Christmas Day in 2001

picture thumbnail picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail
picture thumbnail picture thumbnail picture thumbnail

Max Svabinsky Alley

picture thumbnail birch alley connecting Ceska Trebova and Kozlov

II. History overview

1st half of the 13th century
- construction of the romanesque rotunda of St.Catherine
1278-1281
- the oldest mention about settlement
1292
- Ceska Trebova is mentioned as a town (civitas) in ownership of Zbraslav Convent
1452
- foundation of weavers' guilt
1547
- construction of the town hall
1635
- great fire of the town - 57 houses, town hall and the church including rectory got burnt
1706
- Maria plague column was constructed at the Old Square
1744
- St.Maria The Helper's wooden Chapel was constructed at "Hory"
1745
- fire of the St.Jacob the Greater's church
1768
- confirmation of municipial privileges by the Austria imperator Maria Theresa
1770
- public baths at "Hory" were founded
1793
- the last destroying fire of the town - the church, the town hall (it was repaired) and the school got burnt
1801
- construction of the new empire St.Jacob the Greater's Church
1845 (August 20th)
- the first train from Olomouc to Prague arrived to the town
- town's population counted 3000 people
1849
- foundation of textile factory at town's quarter Parnik
1851
- stay of authress Bozena Nemcova at "Hory" baths
1885
- foundation of the town park Javorka
1888
- foundation of the museum of Ceska Trebova
1910
- town's population counted 11000 people
1911
- start of electrification of the town
1924
- new railway station was put into operation
1938 (October)
- After the Munich treaty Ceska Trebova became a border town
1945 (May 10th)
- Red Army arrived to Ceska Trebova
1957
- the railway line Prague-Ceska Trebova was electrified
1980
- the Swimming center was opened
1990 (May)
- Soviet Army left its barracks at Ceska Trebova
1994
- the team of Ceska Trebova won the final of the Games without frontiers/les Jeux sans frontieres in Cardiff
1995
- town's population counts 17500 people
1996
- a great reconstruction of the Old Square
- the first Internet domain ct.upce.cz and the first local Internet access service point were established in Ceska Trebova by the CESNET provider
1999
- the railway line Brno - Ceska Trebova was electrified and completely reconstructed
- first direct fast trains Prague - Brno via Ceska Trebova
- enhanced Internet connection of the town (from 64kbit/sec to more than 2Mbit/sec)
- the Cable TV company started to offer data services on its network
2000
- opening of the swimming center after reconstruction
- after 35 years, people of Ceska Trebova have direct connection to Berlin, Vienna and Budapest by EC and IC trains
2001
- the first democratic mayor of the town - Zdenek Lang - died
- new lookout-tower built on the Kozlov hill
2002
- town's population counts 16876 people
- the recostructed building of the Culture Centre opened
2004
- new Senior rest home in Bezdekov and Senior appartment house in Travnik opened
- after 155 years of continuous production the Primona textile plant in Parnik goes bankrupt (it bore also names Perla, HPS and DETAG)
- dike reconstruction of the large Hvezda lake begins; the lake was grounded in 1372 by Albrecht of Sternberg, the bishop of Litomysl
- construction of new appartment houses in Moravska street
- reconstruction of the great organ instrument in the St. Jacob the Greater's Church finished

An old house in the Kyralova street; June 1999
houses in the Kyralova street, June 1999

III. Recent history and opportunities

After bad years of fascist and communist government and deteriorating, the town has been experiencing a great revival since 1989. Many buildings in the historical center have been repaired (including the Town Hall, all the churches, Grammar School and the Municipial Office). The town is put in fresh colours and fresh air.

To emphasize the importance of Ceska Trebova as a transportation center, the town representatives made their best to move the Transportation University from Zilina to Ceska Trebova after Czechoslovakia had split in 1993. (Zilina is in Slovakia.) The town seemed to be too small to have its own university, though. It was quite a success that the Transportation Faculty was established at the Pardubice Univeristy and the part of it, related to the railways in the closest way, established its offices and classrooms in a building in Ceska Trebova. Besides there are the Transportation High School and the Transportation Academy, where students can achieve the bachelor degree, in Ceska Trebova.

The importance of Ceska Trebove as a railway center does not seem to fall, but it is even going to grow within a few years. Ceska Trebova is going to become a junction of main railway corridors. Reconstruction of the first one, connecting Berlin to Vienna and Budapest, was finished in 2004.

IV. Famous natives

BALDOVA Zdenka (1885-1958)
- actress, member of the National theatre in Prague from 1922
BROULIK Martin (about 1751-1817)
- teacher in Ceska Trebova, composer, musician
CHORINUS Jan (about 1560-1606)
- master of the Prague university, humanistic poet
FORMANEK Frantisek (1888-1964)
- sculptor, disciple of Jan Stursa, the constructor of helicopter
HABRMAN Gustav (1864-1932)
- politician, one of leaders of the Social democratic party, participated on the foundation of Czechoslovak state, member of the government as the Minister of Education and Social care
HYBL Jan (1786-1834)
- Czech revivalist, editor and writer
JANKELE Ladislav (1871-1896)
- tallented poet, influenced by K.H.Macha and Frech poetry of the end of the 19th century
KLACEL Frantisek Matous (1808-1882)
- Czech revivalist, freeminded philosopher, editor and publisher in USA from 1869
KREJCI Frantisek Vaclav (1867-1941)
- teacher in Ceska Trebova, important reviewer and writer
KYRAL Vilem (1909-1961)
- conductor and composer, organizer of local musical actions
LASEK Frantisek, MUDr. (1872-1947)
- surgeon, author of many medical manuals, historian
MERHAUT Vladimir (1868-1936)
- actor, member of the National theatre in Prague 1911-1933
PICHL Jiri (1872-1953)
- editor, the chairman of Prague's quarter Kralovske Vinohrady for long period
RYBICKA Frantisek, MUDr. (1813-1890)
- universally educated doctor, important politician and cultural leader in Ceska Trebova during 1840s-1880s.
STANGLER Bohuslav (1895-1980)
- teacher, leader of popular cultural activities, historian of Ceska Trebova
STRÁNSKÝ Mojmír (1924-today)
- automobile inventor and designer
- inventor of the Velorex 3-wheeler
- inventor of the first Czechoslovak automobile hand controls (for handicapped people)

V. The town emblem


The town emblem: a black cock with a human head in the red field Ceska Trebova used to be a fortified town where mostly potters, weavers and peasants lived. The story about gaining its town emblem is this:

Once the town scribe lost the town sealing-stick. All people looked for it, but it was not found. The poor scribe was put into jail and sentenced to death as it was usual in those gone years. The gallows were ready for him, he was already led onto it when a cock found the sealing-stick in the scrap heap and brought it in his beak. The scribe was set free and the picture of the cock, with a human head, was put into the town emblem to remember his deed.